Simple Homemade Banana Cake
This post is sponsored and may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Bananas are one of my favorite ingredients to use in the kitchen. It comes in handy for a quick snack, makes for great toast and bread! If you find yourself with a few extra bananas then make this simple homemade banana cake in no time.
Banana cake is different from banana bread. Banana cake is more dressed up and has a frosting on top that is usually cream cheese based!
It’s so funny to eat banana cake for the first time because you automatically want it to taste like banana bread. It’s actually super confusing for the brain! haha! But I think you’ll love it.
This banana cake is layered with cream cheese frosting and is made with a 9×13 pan but can also be made with 2 9inch rounds! Either way its a delicious cake to make on the weekend or during the weekday for the family.
Just make sure you have some really ripe bananas. Bananas that are ripe have plenty of brown spots on the outside. This means they are super sweet and are perfect for making banana recipes like this!
How to Make Banana Cake (Step by Step with Pictures)
Homemade Banana Cake
A simple banana cake recipe with creamy cheese cream frosting. This recipe is as traditional as it gets! Use your ripe bananas and make this delicious banana cake tonight!
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -2 cups of mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 shortening
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Grease a 8.5x11.5 pan. ( see below for other common cake size times) Set aside
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add in bananas, buttermilk, shortening, and vanilla. Beat on medium until combined. Add in eggs. Beat on medium until combined for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake in oven for 55-60 minutes. ( if using a different cake size see below)
- Check center for doneness by inserting a toothpick. Make sure it comes out clean.
- Cool the cake completely, otherwise frosting will start to melt. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Top with fresh bananas if desired.
Make sure bananas are ripe. Use 3-4 large bananas or 5-6 small bananas.
Cake pan cook times:
8.5x11.5x3- 50-60 minutes
9x11x2 -about 30 minutes
2) 9inch rounds- 25-30 minutes
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 222mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
Cream Cheese Frosting
Delicious Cream Cheese Frosting you can use on cakes or cinnamon rolls!
- 1- 8 oz block soften cream cheese
- 1/2 butter soften ( Kerrygold Salted Butter )
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4-5 cups sifted powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer or large bowl beat together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you reach the best spreading consistency. You may not need the last cup so keep watching as you beat the frosting.
- Spread over desired cake or dessert.
I like to keep my cream cheese frosting in the fridge until I use it.