Brown Paper Flowers Tutorial

Untitled-1

Making the Flowers

• 1 pair of scissor
  • 6-8 brown paper bags
  • 1 glue stick
  • leaf template if needed…….

Part One1. With bottom flap towards you cut off the bottom of the bag right above the fold. Save the bottom parts! I might be using them in another craft and well,so might you!

2. Free hand a leaf shape or use a template leaf shape on the brown bag and cut. Make the leaf shape as wide as you can.

3. Leave one end flat and the other pointed.

*As you cut the leaves, smaller parts will start to fall out. Save these and collect them for the second part of the flower.

IMG_9174_1089

Part Two

4. Slightly fold the larger leave in half and glue flat end leafs together in a flower shape. Repeat until you have a full flower. I stop at about 8 leaves for the large flower.

5. Now get those smaller leaf parts and do the same thing you did in step four.

*TIP as your gluing the leaves down don’t flatten them. Keep them slightly elevated and keep overlapping them. Also make sure you are bending them in half to get a 3D affect.

Now you should have two flowers one small and one large. Glue the smaller one on top of the bigger one.IMG_9177_1092

Put it all together and what do you get?

IMG_9179_1094

IMG_9185_1100

Simple details can make the biggest difference! Wasn’t that so easy! Now go make hundreds of them!!

The following two tabs change content below.

Destiny is the founder of Just Destiny Mag, an online publication that focuses on home living and lifestyle. She is a native of the beautiful state of Arizona where she raises her beautiful children right along side with Mr.Right. She believes her destiny is so related with everything beautiful and that those beautiful things can come in experiences, food, fashion, family, photography and laughter to make a beautiful life!

Latest posts by Destiny (see all)

116 Comments on Brown Paper Flowers Tutorial

1. Samantha
    October 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm (3 years ago)

I love them! You, my dear, have convinced me to make a few…. As if convincing me to add to my ever growing list of things to do is difficult! HA!

Awesome idea.

2. Andrea @ The Worley House
    October 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

These are so great! And, look so easy to make.

PS- your mantle looks straight from a Pottery Barn Magazine! Great job girly!

3. Jetaime
    October 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm (3 years ago)

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

4. Shannon
    October 4, 2011 at 2:27 am (3 years ago)

Oh I like these…and your mantle decor too!
    xo, Shannon

5. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    October 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm (3 years ago)

Oh my gosh, I seriously AM going to go make hundreds of those! LOVE how you have them climbing up the wall – so pretty and natural looking!!

6. DeeDee
    October 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm (3 years ago)

Oh my! These are fabulous! I just love how easy they are! Thanks for sharing them! :)

P.S. I loved that you stopped by my blog! Please come again soon!

7. Erin
    October 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm (3 years ago)

So many crafts are just too cutesy for me, but this is just gorgeous. I love the artistic, yet rustic look of these. Beautifully done! I think I see some of these in my future. Thanks for sharing!

8. Stephanie
    October 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm (3 years ago)

The simplicity of the flowers is what makes them so beautiful. Great job, they are stunning for fall. And thanks for showing us how you made them!

9. Jen-CraftOManiac
    October 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm (3 years ago)

HOW GORG. does that look. So PB and Decorative looking. Well done. winks-jen

10. The Corson Cottage
    October 4, 2011 at 11:57 pm (3 years ago)

Hi Destiny! These are wonderful! I love them. I really want to make some for myself. I love your blog too, super cute:) I stopped by from Centsational Girl’s Fall Craft link party. So glad I did:) I’m your newest follower. I hope you’ll stop by The Corson Cottage sometime and consider following:) Carrie

11. Melissa :)
    October 5, 2011 at 2:42 am (3 years ago)

Alright woman. These are cute! But you already know that. Ahem. I’d like to see your next blog post be about how you do ALL that you do with 3 young children! ‘Cause I don’t do 1/2 what you do & I can’t get it all done! I need some help! :)

12. Kassie
    October 6, 2011 at 5:58 pm (3 years ago)

Saw this on Pinterest. LOVE!!!

13. Elise
    October 7, 2011 at 1:57 am (3 years ago)

Um, wow…I just found this tutorial via Pinterest and I LOVE it!!! I am seeing these on my Christmas tree this year!! LOVE your home, too!! Can’t wait to see more of your mantle{my preferred spelling ;)…}
    Elise

14. Grammykrob
    October 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm (3 years ago)

What is the small center in some of yours? So cute.

15. Jen-CraftOManiac
    October 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm (3 years ago)

GOOOOOD Morning this Saturday- I wanted to let you know that your “Talent” was featured over on COM today. xo-winks-jen

16. Becky
    October 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm (3 years ago)

Those look amazing…and so easy!

17. B's Mommy
    October 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm (3 years ago)

I thought I was looking at Pottery Barn! YOU created an amazing mantel!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful idea!!
    Share more pics!! I would LOVE to SEE MORE please.

18. Bonnie
    October 9, 2011 at 12:41 pm (3 years ago)

LOVE LOVE THESE!! Thank you for sharing!! :)

19. Mindy
    October 9, 2011 at 3:26 pm (3 years ago)

These are so stinkin’ cool!! Love them! Pinning for future reference. :)

20. Mel M. M. McCarthy
    October 10, 2011 at 12:53 am (3 years ago)

Ou! I need to make some of these. They are SO gorgeous. Talk about upcycling!

21. ReFresh ReStyle
    October 10, 2011 at 1:17 am (3 years ago)

I love thses and the color is perfect for fall, now I need some brown paper bags!
    Debbie

22. racheljunes
    October 10, 2011 at 5:08 am (3 years ago)

Thank you so much for sharing this! I paid a dollar for a bag of brown lunch sacks and now I have beautiful flowers on my wall. This was very easy, fast and very cute outcome! Thanks again :)

23. Emily @ 52mantels
    October 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm (3 years ago)

I love these!! I posted them on my pinterest and there’s a good chance I’ll be making some in the near future :). Thanks for the inspiration!

24. Mary
    October 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm (3 years ago)

brilliant! easy, cheap and fun!!! thank you so much! my kids and i are going to love doing this! ;)

25. motherofnine
    October 13, 2011 at 11:33 am (3 years ago)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, I teach a class of handicapped adults and this was a favorite! The bags were just thick enough for them to cut easily and since this week we are having an art gala these were perfect fill ins for the decorations! And I enjoyed your playlist also! I left feeling blessed. Thank you again!

26. Steph @ Crafting in the Rain
    October 15, 2011 at 1:42 am (3 years ago)

I made one! Yours looks way better :) I need to work on it a little I guess–then I’ll post and let you see. Thanks for the instructions!!

27. Aimee @ AJcrazies by AJK
    October 15, 2011 at 3:58 pm (3 years ago)

The effect that adds to that wall there is HUGE!! These look amazing:) I definitely think I’m going to make some!

28. Manure Tea Soil Conditioner
    October 17, 2011 at 3:28 am (3 years ago)

Great share I will enjoy these I think making them out of White paper bags for Christmas will look wonderful too <|;-)

29. Jamie
    October 29, 2011 at 6:00 pm (3 years ago)

I saw these pictures on Pinterest and made them. They look AMAZING! Thank you!

30. milk4u
    November 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm (3 years ago)

We have manna night at church…It is a out reach program right in our small town. This would be wonderful for those underadvantage kids….Also my grandsons would love to help! Get them started young!

31. imsteelefullofscrap
    November 18, 2011 at 11:28 am (3 years ago)

I am a newbie to your blog asnd must say you are very talented I just love the paper bag flowers makes me want to run to the store and get some!

32. Mimi
    November 19, 2011 at 12:03 pm (3 years ago)

I was just thinking about ideas for decorating my boutique flower for the holidays. I’m using red, white, black and gold. these flowers will be a dramatic addition to a hutch that needs something over the top. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

33. Stephanie
    November 21, 2011 at 1:56 am (3 years ago)

I love these! I am actually going to go on the hunt for red and white paper bags because I think they would make gorgeous holiday decorations. My tree is filled with red and white pointsettia’s so this flowers would tie my tree in with the rest of the decor!

• Lorraine
      March 10, 2013 at 10:30 am (2 years ago)

Instead of colored bags, why not have the children color the leaves?

34. Maja Huether
    November 24, 2011 at 5:47 am (3 years ago)

Thanks for the tutorial. I made these for my daughter’s 1st birthday and used them on her highchair and the wall behind her highchair. If you’d like to see… http://www.stuffbymaja.blogspot.com

35. Leigh-Ann
    November 27, 2011 at 11:18 pm (3 years ago)

I saw these on Pinterest this afternoon… WOW! Thanks so much for sharing these! Now I know why I’ve got brown paper bags hiding in my pantry!!

36. Leigh-Ann
    November 27, 2011 at 11:24 pm (3 years ago)

Just saw these on Pinterest… WOW!! These are great! Now I know why I’ve got a stash of brown paper bags in my pantry… Thanks so much for sharing!!

37. Stephanie
    December 1, 2011 at 7:35 pm (3 years ago)

I love these. I am making them out of red and white bags so they are going to be gorgeous pointsettia decorations!

38. Cassie
    January 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm (3 years ago)

I love these! I think I’m going to use your tutorial real soon!

39. imsteelefullofscrap
    January 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm (3 years ago)

Hope it is ok that I pinned them so I can go back and find them when I am ready to make them if not plz lmk and I will remove I did use the link to them so if anyone wants to make

40. Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants
    January 8, 2012 at 6:38 am (3 years ago)

Can you tell me about your mantle, did you do it yourself, if so what kind of wood did you use? I love this picture I have looked at it everyday for the last week. I think I am going to make some of those flowers out of maps!

41. Dena G
    January 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm (3 years ago)

I must be the dumbest novice in the world because I simply can’t grasp the whole cutting of
    The brown bag thing;-( Where do u cut it and how are there smaller pieces after?? I guess I don’t even grasp how to lay it out in front of me;( HELP!!!!

42. seesee
    February 10, 2012 at 7:35 pm (3 years ago)

Saw you on Nate a few minutes ago and have bookmarked your blog. Love it!! Thanks so much for sharing such great ideas. You looked and were amazing today on Nate :)

43. Carla
    February 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm (3 years ago)

I just saw you on the Nate Burkus Show – Great job – I am going to give these a try – you will have the whole country growing paper bag flowers in there home! Thanks
    Scrapnbits

44. Michelle@gigglegumgirls
    February 22, 2012 at 4:21 am (3 years ago)

i was thinking about the crafts to use the scraps on, and thought I’d share with you. I made pink paper bag flowers and the bottom would be a beautiful lining to a cellophane bag for gifts or treats. :) I love this idea by the way.

45. RedHotChiliEpper
    March 2, 2012 at 7:17 pm (3 years ago)

You were great on Nate’s show!! How fun was that?!?

46. 123
    March 2, 2012 at 10:36 pm (3 years ago)

I love the idea, but this tutorial is incredibly vague. Could you include details about where to cut on the bag?

47. 123
    March 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm (3 years ago)

I love the idea, but the tutorial is very vague. Could you be a little more specific about where to cut on the bag, and how the petals should turn out?

48. 123
    March 2, 2012 at 10:37 pm (3 years ago)

49. Inspire Me Heather
    March 22, 2012 at 11:24 am (3 years ago)

They do look lovely, fabulous flowers! I’ve got this linked to my paper flowers post too today – for inspiration!

50. -Jules
    March 31, 2012 at 2:47 am (3 years ago)

I saw you on Nate Berkus and decided to try this craft out myself. I decided they needed a center. I had some squares from scrap booking, but I think large colorful buttons would look amazing too! Thank you for this idea. You will be on my “must read” list from now on for sure!

51. -Jules
    March 31, 2012 at 2:48 am (3 years ago)

52. Unknown
    March 31, 2012 at 6:24 am (3 years ago)

This comment has been removed by the author.

53. Unknown
    March 31, 2012 at 6:25 am (3 years ago)

I absolutely love these!!

One question, how did you hang them on the wall??

54. Jenny
    April 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

This comment has been removed by the author.

55. Jenny
    April 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm (3 years ago)

That was a cool project. I love the way those paper flowers blend with the pumpkin and other stuff there.
    digital cameras

56. Unknown
    April 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm (3 years ago)

Making these right now and LOVE how they’re coming out. Same question though-how are you hanging them to your wall?

57. Unknown
    April 4, 2012 at 9:18 pm (3 years ago)

Nevermind, I just saw on your FAQ that you use Elmer glue dots. Thanks!

58. Anita
    April 23, 2012 at 2:52 am (3 years ago)

The design looks very compelling. I admire your creativity in making these stuffs. By the way, you also took great photos of your work of art.

wedding photography

59. Fern Natwick
    May 9, 2012 at 2:11 am (2 years ago)

these flowers are so great for party decor or even for a children to make for their mother.

60. Kyra
    June 4, 2012 at 7:14 pm (2 years ago)

These paper flowers are also unique if you put this on the kraft paper bags. It’s more creative and unique or put on different colors on the flowers before putting in the Kraft bags.

61. The Tanners
    July 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm (2 years ago)

Are these large grocery bags or the small lunch bag size?

62. WhisperWood Cottage
    July 16, 2012 at 3:24 pm (2 years ago)

Stunning! Love how they go up the wall! Great addition to your mantel! Thanks for linking up to The Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

63. andrea@townandprairie
    July 17, 2012 at 2:03 am (2 years ago)

A lovely natural addition! Great for recycling paper into decor!

64. Homa Style
    August 13, 2012 at 8:37 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations on being one of the finalist in Whisperwood Cottage’s autumn decor. Love the simplicity of the brown paper bags.

65. mfisme
    September 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm (2 years ago)

was just about to shell out serious $$ for a wreath for the front but came across this lovely flower craft and will be making my own wreath!
    Thanks and blessings ♥

66. Arlys
    November 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm (2 years ago)

I fell in love with these so much I hunted up my lunch bags and made a bunch! lovely- thanks for this simple yet rustic idea! I am a flower lover! love your ideas-

• Destiny
      November 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm (2 years ago)

So happy you liked them!!!

67. Destiny
    October 26, 2012 at 8:12 am (2 years ago)

Thank you for including my flowers!! LOVE all your other picks!

68. Kim Smitherman
    August 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I have been wanting to make these for so long. I finally had time today and I love them!! Thanks again.

26Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Brown Paper Flowers Tutorial

1. [...] Valerie Lloyd via 100 Layer Cake. Quite something for a book lover’s wedding, right? Seven: Brown paper bag flowers from A Place for Us. An organic look for a fall wedding, they make gorgeous wall [...]

2. [...] from http://justdestinymag.com/brown-paper-flowers-tutorial/) Share this: Pin ItLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Posted in decor, family, projects, [...]

3. [...] decorate your mantle with this?!)|  3. Free Printable Placemats from The Pretty Blog  |  4.  DIY brown paper bag flowers from A Place for Us Blog |  5. ”Indian” Fine art print, $16 designed by Mads [...]

4. [...] The paper bag flowers might be the most genius idea EVER, but it isn’t mine. I got it from A Place For Us (<– click on over for the tutorial). I found white paper bags at Target (so cheap) and [...]

5. [...] Flowers:  How to make Brown Paper Flowers.  These flowers could easily be turned into Christmas [...]

6. [...] most lovely things, Photo by Emily Johnston Anderson for Rue mag, la petite cuisine, belle maison, a place for us} Share this:ShareTwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. Posted in [...]

7. [...] is the awesome tutorial from A Place for [...]

8. [...] your looking for more beautiful, easy crafts then you’ll also love these brown paper flowers and this girly butterfly cage. You can also find me pinning my heart out over on Pinterest and [...]

9. [...] mom sent me the link to make these flowers.16 paper bags and about an hour later, I had made four of them.They were super easy to make, and a [...]

10. [...] Cut flower shapes in various sizes, crease or roll the edges and glue them in the center from largest to smallest. There you have it, beautiful decorations for any event. Here is a great how-to! [...]

11. […] must! She is a sweetheart! I especially love her eye for classic simplicity. Do you recognize this project of hers that has gone viral? You will love her design projects and her sweet spirit! And I am in love with […]

12. […] 4. brown paper flower tutorial by A Place For Us […]

13. […] source & photo credit A Place For Us […]

14. […] burlap flowers from A Place for Us Blog are so cute (and cheap too)! This would be a cute an inexpensive way to add some autumn flair to […]

15. […] Brown Paper Flowers – Make these adorable and budget friendly paper flowers with an excellent tutorial from a Place for Us. […]

16. […] {How lovely are these brown paper flower decorations on this mantel?! Learn how to make them from A Place For Us.} […]

17. […] Leaf Bowls | Drift Wood Orb | Copper Leaf Gourds Brown Paper Sack Flowers | Glittery Urchin Gold Fronds | Punched Paper Balls | Twig Votive […]

18. […] too!} I remembered an amazing blog called A Place for Us where Destiny made these amazing homemade brown paper flowers. I knew instantly that I had found the right look! I normally decorate with a lot of colors around […]