Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This post is sponsored and may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Since I started cooking for my family 14 years ago I’ve been collecting staple recipes that I can go to season after season. There was a brief time we were I was just cooking for two. There were also seasons where I was making baby food, mashing up my own food just to give little babies a sweet taste of table food. Now that the kids are getting older I’ve settled on a few recipes that I absolutely love and some that I always meant to add into the rotation but got too busy to try. I grew up on Chicken Pot Pie, the one from Marie Calendars was something I remember vividly enjoying after a long practice in the gym or on the track field. So naturally I wanted to introduce my kids to the taste of a good ole Chicken Pot Pie!
What is Chicken Pot Pie?
Chicken Pot Pie is a deep pie dish that contains meat ( hello chicken) and veggies. It’s topped off with a pastry pie crust that you would see traditionally on a fruit filled pie! The combination of crusty pie, chicken and veggies makes for a delicious main dish! The Chicken Pot Pie originated from Greece, and the Romans actually added the top crust making it into a Chicken Pot Pie! So…now you know! ha!
How do you make Chicken Pot Pie?
This homemade recipe takes little effort and on those cold days, it’s right on time. Warming up the body in all it’s healthy warmness! You can adapted the recipe as you wish my adding vegetables that your spouse and kids enjoy. The combinations are really endless! Corn, potatoes and green beans are just some of the veggies you can add or even subtract from this recipe adapted from All Recipes!
When we tested this recipe in the kitchen we agreed that the celery seed really gives it that pot pie flavor, so whatever you do, don’t skip that secret ingredient!
- First Preheat the oven to 425º
- Next, in a deep saucepan, combine the chicken, carrots, peas, and celery or other veggies. Add the water. Then cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pour the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Then, pour the hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust and seal edges with your fingers! Cut any dough that you did not use away.
- Make a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape while the pot pie is cooking.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 to 35 minutes, or until the pie is golden brown and filling is bubbly!
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
How do you know when Chicken Pot Pie is done?
You will know your pie is down when you see the top crust is browning. You can also measure the internal temperature which should be around 160-165º If you see the top is browning to quickly, cover it loosely with aluminum foil to protect the edges.
Can you freeze Chicken Pot Pie?
Yes! Of course. Things get busy around here so I’m all about meal prepping and freezing meals for easy weekday dinners. Simply prepare the chicken pot pie in a freezer safe pie dish. Prepare as normal and give it a flash freeze for about 20 minutes before you fully wrap the pie in in foil and then in freezer-quality plastic wrap. Freeze up to 3 months. To bake from frozen, preheat the oven to 425º and bake the pie for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and bubbling hot inside.
What goes good with Chicken Pot Pie?
If you are looking for a good side dish for Chicken Pot Pie, then here are some of my suggestions!
Mashed Potatoes ( If they aren’t already in the Pie)
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Learn how to make your own homemade chicken pot pie. Use these semi homemade ingredients for a homemade pie.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 9 inch unbaked pie crusts
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In another saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Brush the melted butter over the pie for extra flavor and color. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Did this for my family and they absolutely LOVED it!! SO good, thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much Lily! I’m happy they enjoyed it!